Ref: JN -032019-2943
ALD Life are a small, independent rare disease charity competing for essential resources within an extremely competitive arena. Ensuring we have accurate and comprehensive financial reporting for both senior management and our Board of Trustees is essential for the development of our short, medium and long-term strategies and budgets.
Like many other small charities, we have grown organically from an informal support group to the recognised voice for adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD) patients and their families. We are currently expanding our support services to help those with any leukodystrophy, ALD being the most common, and therefore increasing both our growth potential and workload.
Leukodystrophies are a very rare group of inherited disorders, therefore we acknowledge that support will always be limited. We work towards diversity of income through our charity shop business (5 sites), corporate partnership, voluntary income and grant making trusts.
As we grow, robust and comprehensive financial reporting alongside professional analysis of our financial strategies will be essential for our continued success.
The Chief Finance Officer will be responsible for our financial strategy and accounts management alongside assisting with development of our overall strategic direction and effectiveness, working closely with the Board of Trustees, Chief Executive Officer and Accounts Manager.
Please send your CV to: Sara@aldlife.org
This is a new role within ALD Life and will overhaul existing methodologies with an overriding objective to improve analysis of our financial status, increase capacity and improve income. The Chief Finance Officer will be responsible for reviewing our current system and developing innovative approaches to ensure financial effectiveness, efficiency and sustainability, upskilling staff where necessary.
MAIN ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee accounts function
- Ensure accurate information is input into Sage and that month end and year end procedures are followed for reliable and consistent reporting.
- Development of and adherence to organisations’ financial strategy;
- Development of comprehensive reporting system for Board and CEO;
- Effectively lead, manage and develop staff to deliver objectives;
- Oversee management of payroll;
- Set, develop and monitor organisational, departmental and project budgets and forecasts;
- Ensure sustainability and use financial resources effectively;
- Manage agreed budgets with minimal variance;
- Build reserve levels to required minimum.
- Ensure confidentiality at all times, only releasing confidential financial information with consent from the Chief Executive Officer
- Declare any Conflicts of Interest through completion of the organisation’s Declaration of Interest form
- Ensure adherence to ALD Life’s policies and Staff Handbook.
- Undertake any other duties that are reasonable and are commensurate with the role.
OTHER FEATURES (TRAVEL, HOURS OF WORK, WORKING CONDITIONS ETC)
The role is part time, office based and flexible, up to 16 hours per week dependent on workload.
ALD Life Head Office, 45 Peckham High Street, London SE15 5EB
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or CIMA);
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience;
- Management of accounts function including payroll and budgeting;
- Production of accurate and reliable monthly management reports;
- Good working knowledge of SAGE.
- Sound understanding of charitable accounting.
- Experience as a Chief Finance Officer or Financial Controller.
- Attention to detail;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Excellent supervision skills;
- Willingness to learn about leukodystrophies and the work of ALD Life.
- Understanding of the challenges faced by small charities within the current sector.
Applications are to be sent to Sara@aldlife.org